Dr. Long Chelsea98.com Wisdom Week Million Dragon Health Education
Seasonings and spices are usually used to cook food. They belong to our daily foods as the food being cooked, but they are not the same, because these seasonings and spices are usually not or rarely eaten directly (of course, a small part of them can be eaten directly) .
Before the integration of the global economy, the ingredients, seasonings and spices of various countries were relatively isolated, so that a variety of different flavors of food around the world will be developed. With the historical process, and because of the business exchanges between countries, the seasonings and spices of various countries There will also be exchanges, and gradually there will be more food and cooking methods; the more exchanges, the more food and cooking methods. This article summarizes the common condiments and spices in China and the West, and see which ones you like and are good for your body.
1. Chinese spices and condiments
1, The difference between condiments and condiments
Condiments in China are divided into two types: seasonings (seasonings and condiments) and condiments, but some of them are often mixed, so many people can't distinguish them. Seasoning is the raw material that shows salty, sweet, spicy, sour and fragrant in dishes, and is used in the cooking process, especially sauce, salt, sugar, wine, ginger, onion and garlic;
Condiments are the raw materials for the seasoning and coloring of dishes. They are mainly used as seasonings to add flavor when eating. They are used in the process of eating; but sometimes they are also used in cooking, such as black pepper powder and sesame oil. , Oyster sauce, monosodium glutamate, chopped green onion, etc. Such types are easy to confuse the concept. The difference between the two is: the former is to enhance and regulate color and fragrance, and the latter is to assist and increase or decrease color and fragrance.
2, The flavors are divided into basic flavor (single flavor) and complex flavor
The basic flavors mainly include:
(1) Salty taste: table salt (refined salt, rose salt, well salt, sea salt, etc.), soy sauce (soy sauce, light soy sauce, ordinary soy sauce, steamed fish soy sauce, soy sauce paste, Japanese soy sauce, etc.).
(2) Sweetness: all kinds of sugar (white sugar, brown sugar, caramel, rock sugar, etc.), honey, maple sugar (from Canada), jam, etc.
(3) Sour taste: all kinds of fermented vinegar (rice vinegar, mature vinegar, balsamic vinegar, bran vinegar, wine vinegar, white vinegar, etc.), fruit vinegar, garlic vinegar, ginger vinegar, sour plum, etc.
(4) Spicy taste: chili, pepper (from Hu people), ginger, turmeric, etc.
(5) Flavor: wine, green onion, garlic, sesame, osmanthus, cinnamon, fennel, pepper (Sichuan pepper), rose, rice wine, cooking wine, etc.
(6) Bitterness: almond, tangerine peel, etc.
(7) Umami: MSG, chicken essence, chicken powder, mushroom powder, fresh soup, stock, oyster sauce, etc.
The compound flavor mainly includes:
(1) Sweet and sour taste: tomato sauce (Indonesia fish sauce), tomato juice, sweet and sour sauce, etc.
(2) Sweet and salty taste: sweet noodle sauce and so on.
(3) Spicy and salty taste: chili oil, pepper oil, soybean paste, bean paste, etc.
(4) Fresh and salty taste: shrimp paste, tempeh, shrimp sauce, fish sauce, abalone sauce, hoisin sauce, XO sauce, etc.
(5) Spicy flavor: shallot oil, curry (from India), mustard, five-spice powder, etc.
(6) Hot and sour taste: wild sanjiao and so on.
3, Chinese spices
(1) Commonly used spices: star anise (aniseed), star anise, cumin, pepper, ginger, pepper, mint, clove, jasmine, osmanthus, rose, nutmeg, cinnamon, licorice, tangerine peel, bay leaf, mangosteen, purple comme , Amomum, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Woody, Angelica, Sanna, Hawthorn. "Thirteen Fragrance" refers to 13 kinds of Chinese herbal medicines with distinctive fragrances, including purple komelne, Amomum villosum, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, pepper, aniseed, cumin, woody, angelica, Sanna, ginger, dried Jiang et al.
(2) Five-spice powder: The basic ingredients are ground pepper, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and cumin seeds. Some recipes include dried ginger, cardamom, licorice, pepper, tangerine peel, etc. Due to different ingredients, five-spice powder has many different flavors and different names, such as spicy powder and fresh spicy powder.
(3) Fermented soybean products: generally belong to seasonings, but sometimes they are also used as seasonings. Such as fermented bean curd, edamame, bean paste, soybean paste, tempeh, natto (from Japan), tempeh (from Indonesia), etc.
(4) Curry: The spices and seasonings that make up curry, such as turmeric, cumin, nutmeg, coriander seeds, pepper, cinnamon, curry leaves, asafoetida, onions, etc., sometimes as many as forty or fifty kinds. No matter what kind of curry, turmeric, coriander seed and cumin are the main ingredients.
(5) Black and white pepper: black pepper is harvested and dried when the fruit starts to turn red without peeling, white pepper is harvested when all the fruits turn red, peeled and dried in water; black pepper The taste is much stronger than that of white pepper. White pepper is softer and more fragrant than black pepper, and the fragrance is more stable, which is not easy to lose; but white pepper has a more pungent taste, so it has a better effect of fighting cold and less seasoning; black pepper It contains volatile oil, so the cooking time should not be too long, otherwise the aroma and spiciness will evaporate; the higher the temperature of the black pepper, the stronger the flavor, so it is most suitable for making iron plate dishes, and also suitable for stewing meat, cooking game and Making hot pot, cooking fish, braised dishes, etc.; white pepper powder is more spicy. Many people will add some white pepper to enhance the flavor when eating cold dishes or stews; white pepper has the effect of dispelling cold and strengthening the stomach The effect is stronger; black pepper is more effective in warming the spleen and kidney, and can also prevent tumors and cancers.
(6) Mustard. Yellow mustard (Yellow mustard, American yellow mustard) originated from China is ground from mustard seeds. It is yellow and slightly bitter. It is a common spicy seasoning and is mostly used in cold dishes. In addition to seasoning, the folks also use yellow mustard orally to treat vomiting and subumbilical colic; externally to treat arthritis. Mustard has a long history in China and has been eaten at the court since the Zhou Dynasty. Wasabi (scientific name wasabi), which originated in Japan, is ground from wasabi or horseradish. It is green. Its pungent smell is stronger than yellow mustard, and it has a unique aroma. It is mostly used in Japanese cuisine. In addition, the functions of yellow mustard and green mustard are different. Generally speaking, green mustard has a spicy taste and is mostly used for sashimi; yellow mustard has a soft taste, so it is versatile, and can be used for cooking and stew. Even fried noodles and meat buns can also be used Eat yellow mustard.
4, China introduced varieties
(1) In the Western Han Dynasty, Zhang Qian went to the Western Regions and introduced grapes (syzygium), red and blue flowers, coriander, pomegranate, flax, walnut, garlic, and alfalfa from abroad.
(2) In the Ming Dynasty, the American crops introduced to China were corn, sweet potato, jicama, potato, cassava, pumpkin, peanut, sunflower, pepper, tomato, kidney bean, lima bean, western apple, pineapple, sweetsop, guava , Avocado, cashew, cocoa, American ginseng, papaya, upland cotton, tobacco, etc. nearly 30 kinds.
(3) China’s introduction of foreign food has a characteristic. Most of the foods with the character "Hu" were introduced to China during the Han Dynasty and the Southern and Northern Dynasties; there is another kind with the character "Fan", which was introduced to China after the Ming Dynasty. Crops; the third type with the word "foreign", onions, cabbage, etc., may have been introduced to China in the late Qing Dynasty and during the Republic of China. Therefore, crops with "Hu", "Fan", and "Foreign" generally indicate the different eras when our crops were introduced into China.
(4) In modern times, European and American condiments and spices can basically be found in China.
2. European and American seasonings and spices
1, European and American spices
(1) Basic flavor: sea salt, well salt, garlic, honey, licorice, red sweet paprika (Paprika), paprika (Hungary), European chives, parsley, mint, cinnamon, flax seed, chia seed , Poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, onions, all spice, etc.
(2) Mixed taste: various mixed seasonings, mixed sauces, etc.
-Garlic. Garlic salt, fried garlic crisp (fried garlic), roasted garlic, pesto (garlic sauce), garlic onion sauce, curry garlic onion sauce, etc.
-Eggnog. Made from a mixture of milk, eggs and wine.
-Dip (dipping sauce). Western Dip dip is based on dairy products, basic mayonnaise or beans, with various spices or vegetables. Dip is most commonly used to dip French fries, fish, toast, etc. It is often found in appetizers and finger foods.
-Sauce (Sauce). Various colorful sauces. Common ones are: garlic mayonnaise aioli, chocolate sauce, hummus, ketchup (or tomato sauce), salsa (from Mexico), tartar and so on.
-Spread (spread sauce). Spread-type sauces are often used to spread bread and biscuits, such as peanut butter and tahini. Butter and soft cheese are the most common spreads. There are also honey honey, jam jam, hazelnut hazelnut, marmite from New Zealand Laoganma, and liver paste. There are three types of liver paste in Europe: liver paste (Paté), meat paste (Terrine), cooked meat spreads (Rillettes).
-Dressing (Salad Dressing). It refers specifically to the sauce used to mix salads. In the Western diet, dressing is mainly divided into two categories. One is vinaigrette dressings and the other is creamy dressings. Vinaigrette dressings are vinaigrette dressings that are blended with oil and acidic substances such as vinegar or lemon juice, and seasoned with salt, black pepper, and spices. They are relatively refreshing, low-fat dressings, suitable for fresh vegetables. Creamy dressings are based on dairy products or basic mayonnaise (mayonnaise, known as white vinegar in Taiwan), such as yogurt and sour cream. They have a thicker taste and are suitable for meat salads. They have higher calories than vinaigrette.
2, European and American spices
(1) Basic spices: Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Oregano (pizza grass), Tarragon, Mint, Dill, Bay Leaf , Scallion Chives, Nutmeg Nutmeg, Cinnamon Cinnamon, Marjoram (Marjoram), Saffron Saffron (Chinese Saffron), etc.
(2) Mixed seasoning powder: cardamom powder, Indian spicy spice powder, clove powder, Jamaican pepper powder, sage powder, pepper garlic seasoning, parsley powder, cinnamon powder, Italian vanilla powder, lemon pepper seasoning powder, etc.
(3) Plant leaves: dill leaves, rosemary leaves, coriander leaves, thyme, sweet basil leaves, basil leaves, coriander leaves, chopped chives, mixed herbs, mint leaves, etc.
Delicious delicacies, in addition to color and fragrance, are beneficial to health from a nutritional point of view. Some seasonings and/or spices are good for health, while others may have the opposite effect on health, or may increase inflammation, or they are hair matter and cause obesity. How to judge and choose? Please pay attention to the economical and practical Boshilong detox and body shaping courses and training, which will benefit you and your family for life.
*** Every article has been carefully written, edited and checked by Huizhou experts. Please trust the experts’ opinions and suggestions.If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ***
Chelsea98.com – Dr. Kyle Long, a big health project of Smart Week Million Dragons, registered dietitian, registered health manager, from Smart Week Smart Financial Education GroupChelsea98.com-"Sincere. Clear. Efficient"